Wednesday 24 November 2010

Tuesdays With Roy

By: Noel | November 23rd, 2010
wheelofroy

“Today I thought all of the back four’s performances were pretty nigh on perfect,” he says. “West Ham didn’t have their first headed chance until the 91st minute, but that was really the only time in the game I thought we looked like conceding a goal.”

“Okay, I’ll grant you that,” I say, “but I don’t know how much that had to do with Liverpool.”

“What was most pleasing today was that we’ve done a lot of work on trying to get our full-backs forward and trying to get our midfielders to create space for them. So it was nice to see Glen score one goal and Paul Konchesky make another.”

“I… what? I mean, that sounds good. Really it does. It’s why fullbacks like Johnson exist and cost a lot of money, and it’s pretty much what everybody has wanted to see. Just, you know, it doesn’t match what we’ve seen against… well, anybody better than West Ham. Or have I only been imagining deep, flat back lines hoofing it to isolated forwards?”

“I thought our movement down the sides throughout the game was very problematic for West Ham,” he says, continuing on as though he didn’t hear me, “and, as I said, we scored two goals from it and could have scored more because we got ourselves into good positions.”

“I know, Roy. I know. I’ll tell you what, if we actually see a bit of imposing our game on the Tater Totts as a way of keeping Bale pinned back and ineffective I might not feel quite so much like ripping out my hair, but right now what you’re saying seems to have no grounding in reality. I mean, do you really think I’m that stupid? That I’ve never seen attacking fullbacks before? Or that I haven’t seen our generally passive set up so far this year?”

“The other pleasing aspect is that we were so professional in the second half, there was never any chance we’d let them back into the game, there was no sloppiness, and it gave me a chance to give people like Aurelio, Babel and Shelvey a well-deserved taste of Anfield football.”

“‘Professional’ is a synonym for packing it in and not trying to pad the goal differential and boost morale against an opponent begging for the coup de grâce now?”

“It was important to win and I thought we did it with some style” he says. “As I said yesterday, I think there are going to be lots of situations in the coming months where momentum will be gained and lost by teams because the league is such that there are no games where you can safely predict the result.”

“You’re really going to hang your hat on it being some grand and worthy victory, this toppling of a disinterested side that would probably look overmatched against Bradford City? You’re going to pretend Johnson getting forward has been the intent all season as though that’s something you’ve had to install at the club and not the system the players operated in before? Next you’ll be claiming that Poulsen looking adequate against a side that was allergic to the ball is one more validation of your grand vision for us idiots to take away from West Ham, because who are we going to believe, you or our lying eyes?”

“Calm down, son,” he says. “But you know, Christian is a good player. I always knew he is a very good footballer and today in a good team he showed what a good player he is.”

“Oh for the love of Turducken Jesus, it’s famous victories over Tran-span-porky-pig all over again. You do realise that Tottenam’s coming up on Sunday, don’t you? That all this talk of getting fullbacks forward to provide the width and how super-awesome Chrisitan Poulsen suddenly is will look idiotic if it’s right back to the unadventurous, play not to lose crap we’ve seen week after week?”

“I know you have some anger management issues,” he says, “but could you try to stay calm? For your own good if nothing else.”

“Fine. Sure.” I take a deep breath, pull my robe tighter as we walk the paths in the hospital court yard. I rub a little bit at the bandage around my head, a reminder of my previous chat with the man, and count to ten.

“There are two games this year which have done us untold damage,” he says.

“You mean City and Utrecht?”

“The first was when a total reserve team–although it does not seem to have been noticed we had 14 first-team players who didn’t play–lost to Northampton in the Carling Cup.”

“Or maybe Sunderland and Everton?”

“The other was the disastrous defeat to Blackpool at the end of a three-match week when we played in Europe.”

“Or Stoke and Wigan?”

“Northampton and Blackpool, I said,” he says. “Those two defeats were costly for us because they encouraged people to make bold conclusions.”

“Really? I could have sworn Everton and City were worse. And maybe Stoke. Yeah, definately stoke was one of the two worst, along with Everton and City. And probably the two you mention, too. So what were you saying?”

“I said that those two defeats were costly for us because they encouraged people to make bold conclusions.”

“If by two you mean five or seven, then yes. And if by bold you mean ‘realise the completely fucking obvious’ then I would agree with that, too. I guess at least I haven’t picked up a new injury from talking to you this time around.”

“See,” he says, “we’ll be right in the thick of things before you can lick a postage stamp.”

“Reassuring as always,” I say.

“That’s the spirit,” he says.

“I’m pretty sure Aurelio’s had a ‘taste of Anfield football’ once or twice before.”


Some Related Liverpool Posts:Tuesdays with Hodgson: Utrecht Draw Satisfactory: This Time on a TuesdayMatchday: Liverpool v. Blackburn
Category Category: MiscellaneousTags Tags: Glen Johnson, Miscellaneous, Paul Konchesky, Roy Hodgson, Through the Looking Glass, , West Ham
« Pacheco Palate Cleanser | Home | Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My »redtrev73Fan-fucking-tastic noel!! The utter plausibility of this as an ACTUAL conversation is what makes it so good...and so scary. Quality. Again.McrRedBrilliant!GrubbHaha, glad no further injuries were sustained - although the hospital is a grand place to injure yourself, as the drugs are powerful and proximal.

A good read again mate, still looking forward to 'Dinner with Deschamps' or 'Fridays with Frank' or whoever the hell you could create this hilarious post-interview semi-fiction about when Roy is gone. But until he is (July isn't THAT far away) - 'That's the spirit.'Mike"Picnics with Pellegrini" would be ideal.NoelOnly problem is I don't know how well something like this works if we don't have a manager who makes me want to stab myself in the ears every other time he opens his mouth. Roy Hodgson: horrible for Liverpool, but great for bitter comedy.nateBeen waiting for this since I read that interview. It did not disappoint.JoejagThese articles are fascinating to read, and scarily realistic. Keep it up!blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow Us

           


England National Team News England vs France liveblog! Previewing England Vs France, and Where We Stand England Squad Announced for the Friendly more news...
Search The Offside


 


Kids Soccer Gear at SOCCER.COM


Related Links

Liverpool TicketsLiverpool Football ShirtsLiverpool Betting OddsHotels near Anfield Stadium, LiverpoolFernando TorresDirk KuytFantasy Premier League
Categories

Champions LeagueEuro 2012Europa LeagueHillsboroughInternational DutyLeague CupMatch PreviewsMatch RecapsMatchday PostsMiscellaneousPremier LeagueSeason ReviewSpecial FeaturesTeam NewsTransfer NewsWorld CupWorld Cup 2010
rounded_corners

Send Your Tips!

Found a great story, photo or video that's perfect for The Offside?
Email liverpool[at]theoffside[dot]com
Write for The Offside
LATEST COMMENTS

More Dani Pacheco Goodness
Red2death: Pacheco... all he did was beat one defender and chip the keeper. More evidence of our extremely thi ... [read more] Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
LFC4LIFE: Maybe there was a Spurs fan in the crowd so Joe was gonna SMACK his ass,in advance to 'the game& ... [read more] Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
David Guest: numpty. Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
Grubb: I like Nzogbia too Kenneth, but surely Hazard is worth a shout? Could potentially be a Ribery-type p ... [read more] Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
ChrisLFC: Two-way stairs! Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
Natalya: Shall I start a small charitable venture to raise funds to purchase a proper track suit for Joe Cole ... [read more]
Noel: Only problem is I don't know how well something like this works if we don't have a manager w ... [read more] Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
Noel: You made me look it up, and now I know LSD was invented/discovered by the Swiss. Hooray for useless ... [read more] Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
Mike: I hope Joe's position in that pic isn't an indication of how what the spurs do to the reds t ... [read more] Cole and Hazard and Rafa, Oh My
Kennetholeary: Liverpool should buy Charles Nzogbia for the left wing and not Eden Hazard. They should buy Andy Car ... [read more]
Archives

Select Archive Month November 2010 October 2010 September 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 May 2010 April 2010 March 2010 February 2010 January 2010 December 2009 November 2009 October 2009 September 2009 August 2009 July 2009 May 2009 April 2009 March 2009 February 2009 January 2009 December 2008 November 2008 October 2008 September 2008 August 2008 July 2008 June 2008 May 2008 April 2008 March 2008 February 2008 January 2008 December 2007 November 2007 October 2007 September 2007 August 2007 July 2007 June 2007 May 2007 April 2007 March 2007 February 2007 January 2007 December 2006 November 2006 October 2006

 About The Offside | Advertise on The Offside | Privacy Policy


Top Content: England Team Blog | The Hillsborough 96 | Joe Cole to Liverpool | EPL Match Tickets | Anfield Moments | 2009-10 Liverpool Goals

Related information: EPL Store | England Kits | Manchester United | Chelsea FC | Arsenal | England Travel Guide | Liverpool Night Life and Hotels | London Airfare | Champions League Prize Money

© BootsnAll Travel Network - All rights reserved
EuropeEngland: PremiershipEngland: ChampionshipEngland: League One England: League Two FranceGermanyGreeceHollandItalyPolandPortugalRussiaScotlandSpainTurkeyAfricaEgyptTunisiaAustraliaSouth AmericaArgentinaBrazilColombia North AmericaMexicoMLSNPSLUSLWomen's SoccerCup CompetitionsChampions LeagueEuropa LeagueCopa LibertadoresCopa SudamericanaPlayersDidier DrogbaLionel MessiMesut OzilArjen RobbenCristiano RonaldoLigue 1 ProspectsSoccer Betting  |  World Cup 2010
Plan Your Soccer Travels  |  Soccer TicketsClose XLiverpool  Home    World    Europe    English Premier League     Liverpool   StoreTravelScores England: PremiershipEngland: ChampionshipEngland: League OneEngland: League TwoEngland: ConferenceFranceGermanyGreeceHollandItaly PolandPortugalRomaniaRussiaScotlandSpainTurkeyUkraineChampions League  |  Europa LeagueClose X Quantcast

No comments:

Post a Comment