Thursday 31 March 2011

Aquilani open to Liverpool return

Alberto Aquilani would be willing to return to parent club Liverpool next season if a proposed deal with Juventus fails to goes through.

Aquilani, 26, joined Liverpool from AS Roma in 2009, but endured an injury-plagued first season in the English Premier League.

The midfielder made just 18 appearances in all competitions before being sent out on loan to Juventus at the start of the 2010/11 campaign.

A permanent transfer to the Turin club has been discussed, but with Liverpool reportedly seeking a fee of 14 million pounds, it remains to be seen where the Italy international will be plying his trade next season.

“The future? I’m at Juve, but I don’t know what will happen,” Aquilani told La Gazzetta dello Sport .

“I’m on loan and if I’m not redeemed in any case I’d go back to Liverpool in the best championship in the world. We’ll see.”

Juve take on Roma away from home in Serie A on Sunday, with Aquilani apprehensive about the reception he will receive at the Stadio Olimpico.

“When I went to Juve, I thought: ‘What will happen when I have to play in Rome? ‘ Sunday for me is a delicate game. I hope that I’ll be welcomed with affection, but I don’t know if it will happen,” Aquilani said.

“Certainly if I score, I won’t cheer. My memories are all positive.”

“Was I sent away? It is not the right word. When they proposed that I leave, I realised there was no more room for me.”

The capital city club have been purchased by an American consortium led by business Thomas Di Benedetto.

The takeover has led to speculation that Aquilani could be in line for a surprise move back to his former club.

“It is a delicate question. I would do, but I think it will be difficult,” he said, referring to the prospect of re-joining Roma.

“As a fan I’m curious to see what happens with the new property, especially if they begin to buy players and to revolutionise the team.”

Wed 30 March, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment