Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Problem With Twitter…

By: chris | July 26th, 2011
Mick-McCarthy

Admit it: Mick McCarthy is awesome.

Lovely little interview with Mick via The Guardian below in which he waxes on the ills of Twitter. A cautionary tale of Twitter and social media in the modern – and webcams, Elano – battlefield that is football, really, but mostly it’s just nice to hear someone call out ‘cocks’ and ‘twits’ and ‘numpties’ for what they really are.

McCarthy’s ire was stoked in January when Greg Halford, who was on loan at Portsmouth but had returned to Molineux to attend Wolves’ Premier League match against Chelsea, went on Twitter to announce: “With Steve Sidwell in the stands, read what you like into that.” The following day Sidwell pulled out of a move to Wolves and joined Fulham, leading McCarthy to believe that Halford had contributing to the deal collapsing.

“I think what really should highlight that [I won't discuss transfer targets with the media] is we had Steve Sidwell at the Chelsea game. Some twit tweeted it and it became common knowledge. He is on the running machine here and having a fitness test the following day and his agent gets a call from Mark Hughes and he goes and signs for Fulham. Do you think that had anything to do with the gravepine or that Twitter line? I think it probably did.

“Players are going to get themselves into trouble over Twitter, I can tell. I can’t ban it and I’m not going to try. But they have to be careful what they say on it about the club and its policies. If they put a team selection up, which I’m sure some disgruntled numpty will at some stage, they will be in trouble. Then I think they can get fined. It is forbidden and I think it’s unforgivable anyway [to] make it known just because they are not in the team.

“We are in the process of educating them, having a media law firm come in and speak to the players about it. Having pictures of yourself misbehaving as a 16-year-old is OK until you become a famous footballer and that picture is still there and is there forever.”

McCarthy said he is aware he has an impostor on Twitter. “Someone said to me: ‘I’m a contact of yours on Twitter.’ I said: ‘You aren’t, mate, because I’m not on Twitter.’ He said: ‘Are you not, I’ve been talking to you for the past two years!’ I said: ‘Well, you are cock like the bloke who is doing it.’ Dear oh dear. I think cock is appropriate for someone who impersonates me on Twitter.”




blog comments powered by

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment