Monday 10 January 2011

Cahill delight at Australia triumph

Australia midfielder Tim Cahill has praised the discipline and work-rate of his Socceroos team-mates after their 4-0 win over India in the Asian Cup.

The Socceroos got their Qatar campaign off to a near-perfect start on Monday, with Everton talisman Cahill getting on the scoresheet in either half beside strikes from Harry Kewell and Brett Holman.

The only downside for Australia was a sluggish second half that produced few real chances and nearly gifted India a shock goal when Sunil Chhetri beat the off-side trap in the dying stages.

But Cahill said there were plenty of positives to take from the Socceroos’ opening Group C match ahead of their crunch fixture with South Korea on Friday.

“I think we can take a lot from the disciplined performance and the way we moved the ball,” Cahill told Fox Sports.

“We knew beforehand that India were going to be dangerous, we knew the style they played and watched a bit of video about them and we minimised their chances.”

“I think it’s critical that you get the early goal and thankfully enough we got the goals today.”

“What this comes down to is discipline and work-rate and showing a good attitude to play football and not letting anything else get to us.”

Cahill opened his account in the 11th minute after meeting Brett Emerton’s pin-point pass at the goalmouth, and nabbed his second on the other side of the break with a header from Luke Wilkshire’s free kick.

“I’m delighted. It’s special because when you score it rewards your hard work off the pitch and it rewards your hard work on the pitch,” Cahill said.

“I’ve come into this tournament pumped. I’ve tried really hard with Everton to keep myself as fit as possible and I’ve come here and I’ve prepared really well and I’ve made sure that I can leave everything on the football pitch.”

“I felt brilliant. People keep asking questions about big tournaments and whether players can step up, but I’m willing to step up to the pedestal.”

Cahill also attracted attention for making a ‘telephone’ gesture while celebrating his goals, and revealed it was a sign of solidarity for those affected by floods in the Australian state of Queensland.

The star midfielder is auctioning a trip to Everton for two fans, with proceeds to go towards flood relief.

“Everyone knows the devastation of the floods in Queensland,” Cahill said.

“I just thought to myself during the week to do something special. I rung up (airline) Emirates and they donated two business-class flights from any port, and then I’ll invite two people to Everton to come watch me play, get a signed boot, signed shirt, meet the players and give them a money-can’t-buy experience.”

“We put it on eBay and the telethon is on now. I want people to get behind it because I’m so far away and there’s so little you can do.”

“It’s beautiful because you can play football and you can send messages by showing your passion so I’m very proud of what’s happened tonight and I’m proud of Australia for the way they deal with the devastation in Queensland.”

Mon 10 January, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment