Sunday 9 January 2011

Vieira talks of retirement

Manchester City midfielder Patrick Vieira has revealed he may hang up his boots at the end of the season.

“There is a 50 per cent chance (that I quit at the end of the season),” the 34-year-old Vieira, whose contract with the Premier League club expires in June, told L’Equipe magazine.

“I think Manchester City will be my last challenge. Calling it quits in June would not bother me. It will be an easy decision.”

Vieira, a former captain of France, appeared 107 times for his country, helping them win the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000.

He started his professional career at Cannes in 1993 before joining AC Milan in 1995.

The Senegal-born Vieira burst on the scene at Arsenal, winning three Premier League titles and four FA Cups in nine seasons at Highbury from 1996.

He then moved to Inter Milan before joining City a year ago to try to revive his hopes of representing France again in the World Cup. He was, however, overlooked by then coach Raymond Domenech.

“I accept the fact that it is almost the end… There is a past, wonderful memories, but it was before,” he said.

“If I had to do it again, I would not change anything.”

Sun 9 January, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment